WE’RE HIRING: ALL THE BEST VICTORIAN STATE COORDINATOR
We’re looking for an audio storytelling whiz to become our new Victorian State Coordinator.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The All The Best Victorian State Coordinator (VSC) is responsible for maintaining a community of All The Best (ATB) contributors in Melbourne and coordinating Victorian-based content with the national All The Best team and the SYN Community Coordinator. They are passionate about radio documentaries and audio storytelling, and are obsessive about podcasting.
Previously this role has been 6 paid hours a week, with additional hours of volunteer time (4-8 hours a week).
However, we are currently awaiting confirmation of funding, which has been delayed due to covid-19. Applicants will receive confirmation of hours once our funding has been secured.
The role is based in Melbourne, but reports to FBi Radio in Sydney. FBi Radio is a not-for-profit independent youth broadcaster serving Greater Sydney and we strive to reflect the diversity of our audience. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people from a range of cultural and linguistic backgrounds, all genders, and people with disabilities.
ABOUT ALL THE BEST
All The Best (ATB) is a weekly narrative documentary radio show and podcast. ATB is a training ground for emerging audio makers to develop their skills in pitching, producing and editing audio documentaries, essays and fiction. ATB is made at FBi Radio in Sydney, in association with 3RRR and SYN in Melbourne. Half-hour episodes broadcast weekly at FBi and nationally via the Community Radio Network, along with select pieces broadcast on 3RRR and SYN in Melbourne.
- Build and maintain a strong relationship between All The Best (ATB) and our partnering stations in Melbourne, 3RRR and SYN.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with contributors in Melbourne and the ATB editorial team.
- Ensure that content produced is relevant for ATB audiences at 3RRR, SYN and FBi.
- Promote and help lead seasonal pitch meetings for contributors to share ideas and collaborate on stories.
- Repackage All The Best’s highlight content for 3RRR’s program The Glasshouse and curate a monthly playlist of stories relevant to the program. Communicate with The Glasshouse frequently about appropriate content and broadcast schedule.
- Recruit and organise new Melbourne contributors to All The Best. With support from the All The Best editorial team, the VSC will be responsible for providing recording, editing and narrative audio production training and support to new and emerging producers.
- Update the national production schedule each week and coordinate Victorian-based content, working closely with the Executive Producer (based in Sydney).
- Assist ATB contributors in Victoria to produce stories for national broadcast, provide training and deliver constructive feedback to contributors.
- Coordinate with University of Melbourne and the editorial team to mentor students in the production of narrative audio, as part of the annual Science Gallery exhibition.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Regular phone and email contact from Melbourne-based producers and the national ATB editorial team, in particular the Executive Producer and SYN Community Coordinator.
- The opportunity to collaborate with a team of supervising producers to develop content relevant to a national audience.
- Running, promoting and attending regular pitch meetings and events with volunteers.
- Attending monthly editorial meetings via video call with the national team.
- Mentoring enthusiastic content producers at varying levels of skill and experience in narrative audio production.
- Gaining experience working for a well-respected national program with a network of industry contacts.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A considerable and consistent amount of self-motivation and reliability.
- Demonstrated experience managing, supervising and motivating volunteers (contributors and supervising producers) to create innovative content to deadline on a weekly basis.
- A sound knowledge of, and passion for, telling stories through audio.
- Demonstrated experience in narrative audio production – including interviewing, recording, script writing/editing, audio editing and sound design.
- Familiarity with audio editing software.
- An ability to exercise editorial judgement on stories in production and communicate feedback to contributors in a fair and supportive manner.
- Strong organisational skills, particularly with respect to managing and communicating with volunteers.
- Clear and innovative ideas regarding the program’s content, focus, audience and scope.
- Friendly, flexible and personable – ability to work with a diverse range of people of varying levels of experience.
- Volunteer experience at SYN or 3RRR in Melbourne (Desirable).
- Knowledge of broadcasting regulations including the Community Broadcasting Code of Practice. (Desirable).
Please submit a resume, with a cover letter telling us why you’re a good fit for All The Best, to email@example.com by 5pm Friday July 24th. The ideal candidate would start in early to mid August. Training will be provided, as required.
Executive Producer, All The Best