This week we’re joined by freelance music journalist, Hugh McIntyre. Hugh’s work has appeared in Forbes, Sonicbids, The Huffington Post and Billboard, and he is editor in chief at Pop Bang Boom. Earlier this year he was part of a panel at SXSW called The Secrets of Pitching Your Band, with past guest and friend of the show, Laura Goldfarb. In this interview we hear about mistakes artists and publicists make when approaching journalists, what a good press release should consist of, and the importance of relationships in the music industry.
- We hear how Hugh started writing about music, and his first publication
- Hugh tells us how he got an internship at Billboard, and how it was a bit of a fluke
- We talk about mistakes artists and publicists make when sending pitch emails to journalists
- Hugh shares how often press releases don’t convey the excitement they should
- The human touch is very important in press releases - they should sound like they’re coming from a human
- Hugh shares his...
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.