Joining us this week out of Minnesota is Neil Hilborn, a College National Poetry Slam Champion. In August of 2013, Neil’s poem "OCD" went viral, garnering over 7 million views to date, making it one of the most-viewed poems on YouTube.
Neil is also the co-founder of Thistle, a Macalester literary magazine, and has run numerous writing workshops with college and high school students. His work has been featured in publications such as Borderline Magazine and Orange Quarterly, and his debut full-length book, Our Numbered Days, is now available.
- Neil shares how the popularity of “OCD” on YouTube took him completely by surprise
- We talk about how it’s the authenticity and connection of a performance that really matters
- The moment of truth and humanity in a performance is what connects with people
- Neil shares why he think it’s important for artists to talk about mental health
- “An artist’s duty is our own stories as genuinely as we can” - Neil Hilborn
- “Get that brain garbage out - then...
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.