As I mentioned in last week's post and episode, we received a question from one of our reader's about how my mindfulness practice is going. Since we've been talking about lots of great self care habits and tools like reframing our relationship to exercise, cultivating a better body image, etc., I thought it was the perfect time to give you an update on mindfulness and talk about what this practice is really all about.
Because mindfulness is all about presence, moment to moment awareness, and going with the flow, I didn't want today's episode to be scripted, which means you won't get our usual written version for this post, but we'll have a blast together talking about mindfulness in audio! That means you can listen to the full episode by clicking play above, or download or stream through your podcast app via iTunes or Stitcher!
In this episode I'll be sharing lots of personal stories including my struggles with anxiety, how I got started with mindfulness, I tell you all about what mindfulness really is, I bust some myths and misconceptions about the practice, and I tell you all about my practice, how mindfulness has changed me and all of the benefits it has brought into my life. I also talk about how to keep up with the practice, the difference between mindfulness and meditation, whether yoga can count as a mindfulness practice, and how to bring this into your day to day life and why that's the goal, not the practice itself. I'll also be sharing some funny stories about my relationship with time, and much more.
If there's one self care habit that has changed my entire day to day experience it has been mindfulness, so today we're talking all about it.
Here are some of the links and videos mentioned in today's episode:
Dr. Shauna Shapiro on the power of mindfulness and practicing with kind attention:
Dr. Shauna Shapiro on Mindfulness and the changes in our brain. She answers the question: Can your happiness baseline change through mindfulness?:
- Palouse Mindfulness · Free Mindfulness Course
- Calm app · My favorite guided meditations
- Headspace · Another very well-known meditation app
- The Mountain Meditation from Palouse Mindfulness
- Dietitian Nutritionist Taylor Wolfram of Whole Green Wellness
- Past episodes of our podcast on Body Image, Intuitive Eating and Mindful Eating:
- Bikini Revolution Part 1: The stories we tell ourselves and how to change them
- Bikini Revolution Part 2: The pressure to be thin
- Bikini Revolution Part 3: Change what you see - Amazing body image advocates
- Body Image Series Part 1: My rock bottom moment and the tools that helped me climb out
- Body Image Series Part 2: Resilience, self care and body kindness
- Body Image Series Part 3: A different body
- Body Image Series Part 4: Behind the curtain of control
- Mindful Eating Basics