We’re back in NYC at Microsoft Connect(); talking about the backstory of Visual Studio Code with Julia Liuson (Corporate Vice President of Visual Studio), Chris Dias (Principal Program Manager of Visual Studio and .NET), and PJ Meyer (Product Manager).
We talk about the beginnings of the Visual Studio product line, how Microsoft missed the internet, how the community is judging Microsoft and looking at them with a very old lense, how Visual Studio Code evolved from lessons learned with their cloud based editor called Monaco, how they had to radically change to reach developers beyond Windows, and how this open source project is thriving.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Auth0 – The world’s #1 authentication-as-a-service platform. Sign up with our URL and get the free plan or try the enterprise plan for 21 days. No credit card required.
- DigitalOcean – Get DigitalOcean Spaces free for 2 months. Securely store and deliver any amount of data with the same simplicity you’ve come to expect from us. Instantaneously create a cost-effective, reliable storage space using our drag-and-drop UI or API.
Toptal – Hire the top 3% of freelance software developers, designers, and finance experts. Email
firstname.lastname@example.org a personal introduction.
- GoCD – GoCD is an on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks that lets you automate and streamline your build-test-release cycle for reliable, continuous delivery of your product.
- Julia Liuson – Website
- Chris Dias – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- PJ Meyer – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Julia Liuson on Wikipedia
- Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio
- Visual Studio Code on GitHub
- GitHub CEO Talks About How Microsoft and Apple Are Changing
- The State of the Octoverse 2017
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!