Well the Funkcast was probably about as gentle a 'tell me about this genre' podcast as you're likely to get. This, on the other hand, is not gentle. I suppose it was never likely to be - there's only so gentle an introduction you can give to this kind of music.
Basically, I was becoming increasingly curious about the number of alt-folkies I know who come from heavy metal backgrounds. Loads of my friends here who I know because we all listen to indie rock or alternative folk or all sorts of things inbetween seem to have been really into metal when they were young. This doesn't entirely make sense to me because I see very little connection between the two kinds of music, and for so many people to have made that transition it must be a strong connection.
Then, of course, it turns out that loads of people whose music I listen to - alt-folk, once again - also grew up listening to metal. The Mountain Goats' John Darnielle, Phil Elverum of Mount Eerie and, more locally, Dan from Withered Hand and Neil from Meursault. So, having been round at the house doing artwork for their single releases I asked the Neil and Chris from Meursault and Matthew who helps out with the label to put together a metal podcast. It might not be quite as pleasant to cook your bacon sandwiches to on Sunday afternoon, but erm, well I never made any promises with these bloody podcasts anyway - just deal with it, we'll probably be back to the alt-folk next week.
- Half Man Half Biscuit - Vatican Broadside (0.00)
- Withered Hand - Takeaway Food (05.03)
- AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie (13.17)
- Slayer - Jesus Saves (17.25)
- Mount Eerie - Wind's Dark Poem (24.21)
- Nirvana - School (35.13)
- Dinosaur Jr. - On the Way (37.50)
- Lightning Bolt - Ride the Sky (42.59)
- Richard Cheese - Rape Me (47.47)
- Children of Bodom - The Trooper (53.50)
- Meshuggah - Autonomy Lost (57.05)
- The Mountain Goats - No Children (62.01)
- Anal Cunt - You're Old (Fuck You) (73.27)