Vernon Reid is one of rock's greatest guitarists, having rising to stardom in the 1980s as a member of Living Colour. It's not surprising, therefore, that he'd choose an album by one of rock's othergreat guitarists: Jimi Hendrix and his final album, Band of Gypsys, recorded live at the Fillmore East and released in the spring of 1970. Reid gave us an amazing lesson into what exactly made Hendrix so brilliant, least of all on this album.
More on Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsys
- AVClub's Corbin Reiff on the album and its contractual history.
- Gary Von Tersch's original 1970 review of the album for Rolling Stone.
- Original New York Times review of the live concerts at the Fillmore East.
More on Vernon Reid
- Interview with Jambase from last fall.
- Reid picks 10 albums for Keith McMillen Instruments' website
- Living Colour performing "Power of Soul" live.
- Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Show Tracklisting (all songs from Band of Gypsys unless indicated otherwise):
- Message of Love
- Jimi Hendrix on The Dick Cavett Show
- Jimi Hendrix: Star Spangled Banner
- Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced?
- Machine Gun
- Power to Love/Power of Soul
- Who Knows
- Them Changes
- Living Colour: Power of Soul
- Jimi Hendrix: Stop
If you're not already subscribed to Heat Rocks in Apple Podcasts, do it here!