J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr, Heavy Blanket, Witch & more discusses his vinyl collection, his history of collecting punk rock 7" singles, making his first record "Deep Wound", the latest Heavy Blanket LP "Moon Is" and more.
- J’s record collection
- What kind of genres are in J’s record collection?
- The music of J and his siblings
- J’s discovery of punk records
- The early punk scene of Amherst
- Getting import records from England
- Eater and Velvet Underground
- Recollections of making the Deep Wound 45
- The collectability of the Deep Wound single
- Punk records now going for big money
- Leaving Nirvana “Love Buzz” single at a party
- Chasing the Sounds Magazine 100 Best Punk Songs
- J’s approach to record collecting
- Physical reactions to music, bad reissues
- The records that are especially precious to J
- Getting emotional by listening to Negative Approach
- The multiple pressings of Poison Idea “Pick Your King”
- Are sleeves and lyric sheets important?
- What’s the most J paid for a record?
- Seeing and meeting The Wipers
- Dinosaur on SST, name change
- Recollections of Homestead Records
- Getting tapes back from early Dinosaur / Dinosaur Jr albums
- What was damaged when their studio caught fire?
- Would J like to remix any older Dinosaur Jr albums?
- Heavy Blanket- working with Outer Battery
- Does J like colourful vinyl pressings?
- Is J chasing any Holy Grails?
- Memories of Misfits records
- Witch coming to Australia
- Interview wrap up
Extended, High-resolution & Commercial Free version of this interview available at: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
Support our show: www.Patreon.com/VinylGuide
If you like records, just starting a collection or are an uber-nerd with a house-full of vinyl, this is the podcast for you. Nate Goyer is The Vinyl Guide and discusses all things music and record-related