Cal Calamia has been a runner their entire life, but in 2018, their relationship with the sport changed when Cal came out as trans non-binary. Most races in the US only have two gender categories, men and women, and Cal doesn't fit in either one. In an effort to make space for themself and other non-binary athletes, Cal has become an advocate for gender inclusivity and races across the US.
Connect with Cal:
- Non-Binary Run Club
- Book, San Franshitshow
- Janji's Creating Spaces article featuring Cal
- REI statement: Join us in supporting the trans community and LGBTQ+ equality
- Human Rights Campaign article
- American Civil Liberties Union article
- Pre-order Shelby Stanger's new book, Will to Wild
- Stream Space Oddity on Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu
- Check out REI's Spring 2023 Editors' Choice Awards
At REI we remain committed to ensuring that the outdoors, the co-op and society at large are accessible and welcoming to all people—including transgender, non-binary and gender non-conforming people.